When considering if becoming an egg donor is right for you it’s best to make sure you thoroughly understand the requirements, as well as the egg donation process. In today’s blog we will take a deep dive into the various requirements needed in order to become an egg donor.
Understanding why there are requirements to become an Egg Donor
Before going through the list of egg donor requirements it is important to understand why the requirements exist. When applying to become an egg donor it is important that you stand the best odds to have a successful egg donation. Many intended parent(s), as well as egg donation agencies, want to ensure that both the health of you and your eggs are well before going through the process.
Below we have listed the common requirements to become an egg donor:
- Egg donor age requirements are that you must be between 20 and 30 years old.
- Have a regular period.
- Have a healthy BMI index between 19 and 29.
- You must not have any kind of STD and be willing to be screened for STDs before beginning the donation process.
- You must be a non-smoker and not use any drugs.
- You must be psychologically healthy and not have any psychotic disorders. This also includes not using any anti-depressants, tranquilizers and/or use mood stabilizers.
- You must not have had a new tattoo or piercing within the last 6 months.
- In the last several months you must NOT have taken Depo-Provera, had a hormonal IUD or had a child. (You must have had three regular menstrual periods post removal of your hormonal IUD/Depo-Provera/Post Delivery)
- You cannot be on Nor-Plant.
- You must be able to commit to approximately 8 different appointments over a 3-week long period.
- You must be mature and reliable. Signing on to become an egg donor is a important decision and you should understand the requirements ahead of time.
- You must not have been convicted of a crime.
- You must be willing to undergo a medical and psychological evaluation beforehand.
- You must be willing to take injectable medications. (You can learn more about Egg Donor medications here)
Other Egg Donor resources
In addition to understanding the egg donor requirements, we have many additional resources for you to review before making the decision if becoming an egg donor is right for you. Please see the list below:
Egg donation process – To learn more about the process to becoming an egg donor, we welcome you to reach our egg donation process page here.
Egg donor medication – As mentioned above, becoming an egg donor requires you to take certain medication. View our egg donor medication list here.